Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Wednesday Boat Trip from Stonington ME to Isle au Haut

Isle au Haut is an off shore island that is part of the Acadia National Park here in Maine.  On my last visit, I didn't get here, much less even really knew about it, or that there was a stamp there. 

Woke up this morning in a steady rain, but the weather said it was a chance to clear up, so I dressed warmly, and headed the 40 miles down to Stonington, ME., to catch the boat.

I had originally planned to get the 9 am boat, but the lady at the dock said it was a better deal if I took the 1130 boat, so I did, and saved a fair amount of change, the trip plus parking was $24, instead of $38 and $9 parking. 

About a 45 minute ride over to the Island, which has 45 permanent year round residents, and maybe 250-400 depending on the time of year summer folks.  Mostly lobstermen, several generations.

Got to the dock about 1215, was told that the boat would leave at 1230, but he would wait if I wasn't back yet. 

Off the boat at the dock, up the hill, sign said 1500 feet, and there it was, the quaint old Ranger station. 

Got the stamp, hurrah, and then walked briskly back to the boat with 5 minutes to spare.  Mostly due to the rotten weather, which cleared up as we got to the island, there were but 3 people on the way over, and 6 on the way back. 

Saw an Eagle in  flight on the way over, and a porpoise crossed our bow.

The town is a neat old Maine lobster port, very old buildings, I had coffee and got a paper at the local restaurant while waiting for the boat, and also got a t shirt since it was warming up. 


Fellow stamper Jennifer had pointed out a wall of buoys and I found it, they were for sale for 10 each....

It turned out to be a beautiful day.....

Decided to stay here again at Camp Wal Mart tonight, and then tomorrow not sure, may head down towards Rockland, but they are having the big lobster fest down there, and traffic may be awful-  there are a couple of famous lighthouses there I want to see, and I want to get to Bath also.  Have to noodle that out.

Yesterday, I spent all day at Acadia National Park, and got the 11 stamps that are available there at the main part of the park.  Great trip, and I'll do a trip report on that seperately. 


No comments: