Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sunday June 3rd- Booker T and Salem Red Sox

Had a "short day" today, we actually slept in a tad, and around 1130, Cooper and I headed over to Hardy, Virginia, the location for the Booker T Washington National Memorial-  This is park # 194 for me. 


The site is actually the site of the farm that Washington was born into slavery, and there was a good movie that told his story of educating himself, and later his race down at Tuskeegee Institute.







Then, we made our way over to Salem, Virginia for our 4th ball game venue of the trip so far, a game with the Salem Red Sox and the Myrtle Beach Pelicans. 
We had been to a game back in 2008, when the team was known as the Salem Avalanche. 


Had a crowd of about 2700 or so, and it was a beautiful day.


The Red Sox won going away, 18 Hits! 

Once again, another field with a huge jumbotron. 
Cooper scored two balls this game, well, I got one of them, after practically having my head bashed in, a struck ball came flying towards us, I ducked, it hit behind me, came up and smacked me on the neck, and landed in the seat beside me! 
Got a ball and pin for here.

Tomorrow, we are doing laundry early in the morning, then running a few miles to our West for a revisit to Appomattox Courthouse NMP, and then run up to Lynchburg for a quick stop for a ball and pin at the Lynchburg Hillcats. 

No comments: