Saturday, February 11, 2012

Day 10- Busy visiting day with bonuses

Slept in a tad until about 830 this morning, then we got a call from Judy sort of changing up plans that we had made last night, no worries, so off I went for my day of touring.  I was able to get two bonuses in today- 

First, about 50 miles south down I-19 to Tumacacori National Monument.  This was a very nice interpretation of the early Franciscan and Jesuit missionary work.  I reported about it over on the National Parks Blog:

http://jimbobsnationalparks.blogspot.com/

I got three stamps here, including one for the De Anza trail, and two pins and a hiking staff medallion. 

Then, about three miles up the road to the Tubac State Park headquarters for an additional De Anza Trail stamp.  It was a madhouse getting there, as they were having a big time art show, and basically the town was overrun.  I had to get by several state troopers, several state constables, and volunteers, trying to convince them I didn't want anything to do with the art show, and just wanted to get to the Park Headquarters.  Bette and Judy are wanting to go to the art show tomorrow-  I'll take a big pass on that.

On the way back up I-19, I hit my second Border Patrol stop, and they were pulling Mexican nationals out of vans and busses right and left-  think they would know better- They also had a drug dog sniffing about.....
On the way back, I noticed the sign for the Titan Missle museum, so I made a quick stop there, interesting artifacts, and there is an actual silo there you go through. Got a pin for the effort.. 

Got back to the coach around 1230, had a quick sandwich for lunch, then headed off to the bonuses for the day, Saguaro National Park (West division), and Pima Air and Space Museum. 

Saguaro is what it is, a National Park dedicated to the Saguaro Cactus-  had a nice VC and there was a movie.

Pima Air and Space was huge.  I actually didn't have enough time to get to it all-  I took the 6 dollar tram ride, which takes you through the outdoor displays of about 1 hundred aircraft, including some rare and unusual specimens.  They also are affiliated with the Davis-Monthan "boneyard" tour, which is where about 6000 former military aircraft are just sitting out in the desert-  going to try to see that next week. 


This is the Pima Air from above

This is the boneyard, they take you through in a bus
Got lots of pins and hiking staff medallions today, and have now visited 170 National Parks...


Not sure what we'll do tomorrow-  Bette has mentioned a Wal Mart run-  I'll probably do another park somewhere.  Monday, I will be checking on the baseball venues to see if they are open to get balls and pins, and there are lots of other stops planned. 

No comments: