Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Monday- Metro Atlanta, Neat stuff.

Today, the plan was to do the Metro Atlanta Parks, and hit the Jimmy Carter Center and Library as a bonus-  wound up doing that, and added the Southern Civil War and Locomotive museum to boot. 



All in all, a great day, but it started off a little rocky, ran into a bad wreck on the way over to Bill's, and someone was still hanging inside the white car, not sure if they had expired or not, but the medics were waiting for the fire trucks to arrive to cut the person out, which they did just after I snapped the picture. 

From there, we headed over to Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield, which was just a short trip from Bills, and to my surprise, Bill wanted to come along, so it was great to have big brother along for the day- 


Kennesaw was a revisit, as I had been there in 2010- so the park stamp I got counted for this year's totals.  Score. 

Then, we headed down to the Martin Luther King NHS- again, I had been here in 2010, with Brandon, but as before, I had missed parts of the park, and also, 4 stamps.  So, that was accomplished.  I got to the BirthHome, which I had missed  before, and the Fire Station, which I had missed before also. 
You needed a ticket to get into the birthhome, so we passed on that, but I did get the stamp for this location at the bookstore next to the home, also got the 25th stamp I was missing.  Score.


Then to the Fire House, which was built in 1894, and had a big American LaFrance restored 1927 pumper in it- 

In the main VC, got my stamp there, and also saw the actual cart that they used during the funeral, very moving, and there were lots of other displays. 



Across the street from the Main VC is the Memorial Center, and there you will find the tombs of both Dr and Ms King.


I got a new for me pin for this site, which replaces one I got last time- It follows the new entrance sign theme for the park....


The Ebenezer Baptist Church is a part of the site also- This is where "Daddy" King and Martin both preached. 

On the way out, there is a very large Mural that tells the King story-  very well done. 


From there, we headed to the Jimmy Carter Library and Presidential Center, which was close by-   Very nice exbibit there, on a par with the other libraries I have visited.  I finally found the Presidential Library Passport book here, so now I have another set to get.  I'll be stopping by the Kennedy and FDR Libraries on this trip. 

Got a pin here, and of all things, a baseball too. 

We had a nice lunch in the cafe on site, and then headed to Chattahoochie

Chattahoochie River NRA is a drive by- stamp and run deal.  Visited here to get a stamp update, and the 25th, and got them both!  Score. 


Did get a new pin for this site
We were ahead of schedule a tad, so we decided to stop in at the Southern Museum and Locomotive History location in downtown Kennesaw.  This is a very large facility on the site of a former locomotive manufacturer, the Glover Machine Works, which was an important manufacturer and supplier in the Post-Civil War Era.  

 During the Civil War, this site was a part of the Great Locomotive Chase, were a Yankee soldier and some mates stole the locomotive "The General" and were going to take it back north and wreck tracks along the way, but their plan fizzled due to the agressive chasing of Confederate conductor William Fuller, who chased after them and eventually got the prize back.  Disney made a movie of it with Fess Parker no less, and everyone on the Union Side except Fuller got the Medal of Honor, Fuller didn't because he was a civilian.  Interesting exhibits, 30 minute movie, and a pin. 

The museum entrance

The actual (replica?) train


The pin for the collection
 Got back to Bill's house about 330 or so, and then came back to Allatoona Lake, but got frustrated by the lack of any signal to do my updates, hence the being a day late here. 

I got all the boxes ticked for today, all my missing and updating of stamps, plus the Carter and the bonus of the Railroad stuff.  Great day, and I think I talked Bill into coming Wednesday with me to the Trail of Tears stops! 

No comments: