Friday, February 17, 2012

Day 16- Park 176, Coronado NM, and Bisbee and Tombstone

Originally thought I might make it over to Organ Pipe Cactus, but it was raining a little when we got up, so I decided instead to do the planned trip to Coronado National Memorial, with side trips to Bisbee and Tombstone. 

About a 190 mile day in very scenic mountains, desert landscapes, and rain off and on.  There was a dusting of snow at the higher elevations-  beautiful!

Coronado was, well, not much.  It's a pretty deserted piece of ground, with a small visitor center, a movie, which was well done, and that's about it. The park is big on hiking, period.  The road is basically in and out. 


I got one stamp, the 25th anniversary was not out to get, and a pin and a medallion, then I headed about 25 miles up to Bisbee, Arizona. 

This is an old timey historical Western town, that has evolved into a high dollar artsy-crafty store front town, surrounded by a huge open pit mine.
I window shopped, couldn't find a pin, and moved on. 
The town is literally built into the hills.  It dates from about 1880 or so.

This is the main street of shops-  Beautiful things, lots of original art. 
From there, another 25 miles or so up the highway to Tombstone, which was a bit of a bust-  It was drizzling, and I couldn't find a parking space so I basically passed on this stop-  They were getting ready to stage the "gunfight", so it was a  bit busy, which is why I think I couldn't find a space.  I moved on- no pin.....
Just outside the Interstate on the way back to Tucson, I stopped at a Subway and had a salad, then stopped at a Wal Mart to get some socks, and some pens and a notebook to keep notes.  Got back to Voyager to pick up Bette at about 215. 

Today was a "free day" at Lazy Days, waiting for parts to arrive, which most of them have and did, including the tires, I think.  I'll check again in a few minutes-  They may put the tires on tomorrow if they did get picked up-  and the other work will start Monday.  No rush.  Our friend Jerry goes in for his operation at 0600 Monday morning, so Bette will stay with Judy and I will man the ship here. 

May rest up tomorrow, the big rodeo starts soon, want to see that-  and I may do some local things tomorrow-  I just have Organ Pipe Cactus to visit from here in Tucson, as we will stay in Willcox on the way back home to visit Ft Bowie and Chiricahua. 

Also, forgot, I drove by Fort Huachuca, where my pal Dan was stationed at one time in his Army career, doing secret stuff. 

This is for you pal....

No comments: