Sunday, May 3, 2015

May 3rd Fort Picolata Marker

This was the site of an old Fort that was part of the Spanish defensive system and supported Castillo de San Marcos-  

The site of the fort, where the St John river narrows.


Fort Picolata
Fort Picolata was built and garrisoned by the Spanish to guard the river crossing at the ferry landing for the road they used to carry goods to and from Mission San Luis, near today's Tallahassee. Fort Pupo was built across the St. Johns River from Picolata to protect the river crossing on that side of the river. The incoming British recognized its utility and continued to fortify and garrison it. In 1765 and 1767 Picolata was the setting for important meetings between the leading Creek and Seminole chiefs and Governor James Grant and other British colonial officials. Soon after those meetings a number of farms and plantations were created in the vicinity of Fort Picolata.
In 1708 Governor Martinez reported an attack by the English on the palisaded "Castle" at Salamatoto. In 1734 the Spanish authorized the reconstruction of the two forts (also Fort Pupo) at the river crossing. In 1737 with Arredondo's recommendation Gov. Francisco del Moral Sanchez ordered the construction of a blockhouse, barracks, storehouses and batteries.   On either side of the river was a small fort used by the Spaniards – Picolata to the east, and a matching fort directly across the river, near Bayard (Fort San Francisco de Pupo).  Fort Picolata was destroyed by
the English in 1740. It was an important fort during the 1st Spanish and the British periods It was destroyed in 1813 during the Patriot War.




Here where the St. Johns River narrows, was a natural crossing used by Indians, and later by the Spaniards, in pushing west. A Spanish fort, built in 1700, protected the crossing and trail that led to Apalache, near Tallahassee. From 1836 to 1870, a stage line, connecting with river steamers, ran from this point to St. Augustine.

No comments: