Sunday, August 3, 2014

7 Foot Knoll Lighthouse in Baltimore Inner Harbor

This was a bonus stop on the Inner Harbor Tour.  Beautifully restored-  Really neat light...



The first requests for a light came in 1848, with initial appropriations in 1851. Delays in planning and bidding pushed the start of construction to 1854. Total construction costs came to $43,000 by its completion the following year. Most parts were fabricated in Baltimore at the Murray and Hazelhurst iron foundry. The parts were then shipped to Seven Foot Knoll by boat where they were assembled atop of the screw piles. In 1875 the original house was replaced with the current cylindrical structure made of wrought iron plates. Ice, the perennial threat to screw-pile structures, caused damage in 1884 and 1894, leading to the piling of 790 cubic yards (600 m3) of riprap around the piles.
The light was automated in 1949, and fell into disrepair, eventually being supplanted by the usual skeleton tower. In 1988, the lighthouse was removed from Seven Foot Knoll, carried by barge, and placed ashore in Baltimore's Inner Harbor where it was donated to the city. On August 22, 1989 the lighthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.[1] Aided by the Lady Maryland Foundation, many members of the Steinhice family descendants worked to restore the structure prior to its re-opening.
The lighthouse is a contributing element in the Baltimore National Heritage Area

Also got the stamp here:


There is also a marker here for this light:


Seven-Foot Knoll Lighthouse
Seven-Foot Knoll Lighthouse Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Pfingsten, March 8, 2008
1. Seven-Foot Knoll Lighthouse Marker
Inscription. Seven-foot knoll lighthouse was the second screwpile structure to be built by the U.S. Lighthouse Service. It was originally located 15 miles southeast of this location. The 42 foot high round screwpile lighthouse was completed by the Baltimore "ironfounders" firm of Murray and Hazelhurst in 1856 at a cost of more than $30,000. It was constructed of rolled-iron plates, drilled and riveted together and supported on nine cast-iron screwpiles. The screwpiles eliminated the need for an underwater masonry foundation.
The light at Seven-Foot Knoll marked the outer entrance to Baltimore's busy harbor. It was manned from 1856 until 1948, when the Coast Guard automated the lighthouse. In 1988, Seven-Foot Knoll lighthouse was officially retired. With the help of a barge and a 400 ton crane, the screwpile lighthouse was moved to Pier 5 in Baltimore's Inner Harbor. Today this lighthouse is a National Historic Seaport landmark welcoming visitors daily

Also on the National Register of Historic Places:


No comments: