Friday, August 10, 2012

Very interesting day at Adams NHP in Quincy.

Since I was now much the wiser, I pre purchased my Amtrak ticket on line and printed out mine and was ready for the 907 train down to Boston from Durham, NH, which is the location of the University of New Hampshire. They have a sweet little train station there, which actually dates back from the mid 1800's, well, 1911 in it's present location: 


So, off on the train I went, while Bette looked after the car tire that was running flat all the time, (nail in it, stupid) and she also went to the laudromat, and then to Wal Mart for provisions. 

Got down to Boston as scheduled, arriving at 10:30.  Walked the half block or so down to the Orange line T station, figured out the ride and the system for tickets (5.00) and off I went down to Adams Quincy Stop.. Tranferred to the Blue line a couple of stops down, figured that out ok, and got to the T stop at about 1110 or so. 

Walked out of the station and originally started walking the wrong way to attempt to find the Visitor's Center, which I had not been to before.  After figuring out I was walking the wrong way, I walked back and found a directory in front of the train station, and voila, it was to the left, instead of the right. 

Well, I can tell you it DOES NOT look like a National Park visitor's center!!!

There were 4 stamps out at the desk, got those, and then located a fifth, which I was also able to get.  Score. 

I asked about how to get to the Old House, and the birthplaces, and the Ranger told me I practically HAD to take the trolley tour to see them.  How long I said  2 Hours, she said.  What the heck, I said.   So I signed up for the 1215 trolley- and I am SO glad I did-

First, she advised me I had time to walk 100 yards down the street to the old Unitarian Church, which was the "Adams Church", and that was were the Adam's were buried.  So I did.




I was the only person there, and I think I got there just as they were opening for the day.  This is a massive structure, and it had an excellent guide, a very very knowledgible fellow.  He walked me through the building, then downstairs into the crypts, where both John Adams, John Quincy Adams, and thier wives are buried.  So now there are two more people in my I see Dead People series. 

The church dated from like the late 1600's or something, and had lots of tablets, and a beautiful plaster cast ceiling, which had been redone in the late 1990's.  Wow.



So, that was a trip bonus. 

Then, on to the trolley.  First stop was the "Birthplace Houses" of both John, and next door, John Quincy Adams.  These both date from the early 1700's.  Interesting talk by the Ranger about how folks lived back on those days, and an interesting kitchen demonstration.

This is John Adam's birthplace

This is John Quincy's- just next to his dad's- you can see Dad's on the right side.

We were there about 45 minutes or so, then we boarded the trolley and headed over to the "Old House", to where John Adams and his family moved to after he became a "somebody."  It was considerably larger than the home place, and also added to as the family fortunes grew. 

We spent an hour here, rambling through the house, and learning all about the families.  At the rear of the property, there are two other structures, a "stone library" built in 1870 by one of the Adam's grandchildren, to house the extensive collection of Books-  it was beautiful....

Had over 14,000 volumes stored here.  

Also, there was a carraige house, rather large and imposing....

I got a sixth stamp for Adams here. 

By now, it was 230 or so, so I decided to not visit the JFK library, since I wouldn't have time to catch my 5 pm train back to Durham, so I just rode back downtown, and strolled Quincy market a bit, and then walked up to the train station. 

Got back to Durham at 630.  It was a wonderful day, and a great trip. 
Got six stamps for the day. 



No comments: