Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Amtrak SUCKS!!!

I got all set to head down to the Durham NH / UNH stop for the Downeaster train to Boston today, and when I got there and tried to get a ticket at the automated ticket machine, it twice went to "Out of Order."  So I quickly downloaded the Amtrak app on my I phone, but they wanted too much information to register, so I just said the heck with it, and waited about 5 minutes for the train to arrive.   By this time, of course, Bette who had dropped me off, was on her way back to Saddleback to begin her day of power shopping without me.  15 miles away.....

When I got on the platform, there were signs all over that said "You must have a ticket, blah blah blah, buy it inside, and so forth.  Well, I didn't have a ticket.

Along comes the train, and I asked the conductor if I could go ahead and pay on board, as I have done several times before, since the machine was out of order in the station. 

No, he said, actually, just about Hell no.  "We are completely sold out, he said...  I said, can I stand?  No, he said.  Can I sit in the snack car?  No.  Of course, as the train pulled out of the station, I could see several empty seats on the car. 

So I had to call Bette to come back to pick me up, and we wound up heading to Newington to go shopping, and I managed to get a new laptop, plus we got a new GPS. 

Amtrak really, really sucks.  I am not happy with Amtrak just now. 

Imagine I'll just drive in on Thursday now-  heading to JFK library and the Adams NHP.  

No comments: