Monday, February 6, 2012

Day 5 Circle Tour of Fort Worth and Grand Prairie

Woke up after a chilly night- (36 or so) and after Bette fixed yummy eggs for breakfast, I headed out for a three stop visit to some places that were on my list- 
First stop was an off season visit to see the Fort Worth Cats -  second time I had visited here, and this time, I was able to get a ball and a pin. 
Le Grave field has been the home of the Cats since 1898!!!

From there, I headed on over to visit the gravesite of Lee Harvey Oswald, which was located in Shannon Rose Hill Cemetery in sort of rural Fort Worth. 
I was able to drive in to the grounds, and located the site with the help of a photo on Find a Grave. 

The marker, as you can see, is plain, and is actually a replacement marker.  Not sure what happened to the original one. 
Here is the Find A Grave website for Mr Oswald:  http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=781

Here is what the original marker looked like-
On the day he was buried, reporters had to serve as pallbearers-  I'm not sure what ever happend to his wife- 


After that visit, I headed about 9 miles up the road to the home of the Grand Prairie Air Hogs- and Independent team of the American Association. They play at a beautiful new complex just off I-30. 

I was able to get a ball for here, but they didn't have a pin. 

I've decided to reopen my baseball blog page also, and will do more thorough reports on my baseball visits here:

http://jimbobsbaseballtours.blogspot.com/

Happy to have you visit there and check it out!

Later this afternoon, we're off to Frisco, Texas, to visit with our pals the Raffas, our former next door neighbors at Plano, and then dinner at Olive Garden. 

Tomorrow is open for now, expecting to hear from our travel pal TC about plans for heading over to Tucson together. 

No comments: