Tuesday, May 23, 2017

May 23 Oh Oh, a leak!



This showed up late last night-  hope it's not too terribly serious, we have a 1430 appt. at Camping World to get it looked at.   We think it may be a bad water pump. 
25 mile detour- but at least we got in!
 
 


 
 


 
 
Update:  It was a water pump failure.  Good news, its fixed. Bad news, $533.17
 
Tomorrow, back to "regular schedule". Taking Bette down to River Street if it isn't raining too badly. 
 
 
We are currently under a tornado watch, and the TV is all about a funnel cloud around. 
 

 

Monday, May 22, 2017

May 22nd Ogeechee Road




Ogeechee Road

 
 
Ogeechee Road Marker image. Click for full size.
 
Inscription.

Here, in 1735, was
the beginning of
the road to Darien,
now called the
Ogeechee Road,
probably the first
road laid out in
Georgia,
with the assistance of
Tomochichi.


Erected 1920 by
Savannah Chapter
Daughters of The
American Revolution

May 22nd Augusta Road



Augusta Road

 
 
Augusta Road Marker image. Click for full size.
 
Inscription.

Northwest of this spot,
on Liberty and
West Broad Streets
began the Augusta
road, one of the
oldest in Georgia.


Erected by
The Savannah Chapter
Daughters Of The
American Revolution
1735 — 1920.

May 22nd Madison Square




Madison Square

 
 
Madison Square Marker image. Click for full size.
 
Inscription. Madison Square was laid out in 1839 and is named for the fourth President of the United States. Around the Square stand notable examples of Greek Revival, Gothic, and Romanesque architecture characteristic of nineteenth century Savannah.

To the west are St. John's Church (Episcopal), 1853, and Green-Meldrim mansion, 1861, (General W. T. Sherman’s headquarters). To the north is the Francis Sorrel residence, 1840, which was visited by General Robert E. Lee in 1862 when he commanded the Confederate coast defenses in this area. To the east is the Jewett house, erected 1842. The DeSoto Hotel and the Savannah Volunteer Guards’ Armory, of a later period, are in the Romanesque style typical of their designer, William G. Preston, of Boston.

The central bronze monument commemorates the heroism of Sergeant William Jasper (2nd Continental Regt. of South Carolina) who was mortally wounded October 9, 1779, a short distance northwest of this marker, in the unsuccessful assault by the American and French forces upon the British lines, which ran immediately to the north of the Square.

May 22nd History of Emancipation: Special Field Orders No. 15



History Of Emancipation: Special Field Orders No. 15

 
 
History Of Emancipation: Special Field Orders No. 15 Marker image. Click for full size.
 
Inscription. On January 12, 1865, U.S. Secretary of War Edwin Stanton and General Wm. T. Sherman met here at the home of Charles Green with 20 leaders from Savannah’s African-American churches, including Garrison Frazier, Ulysses L. Houston, and William Campbell. The meeting resulted in Sherman’s issue of Special Field Orders No. 15, which encouraged the enlistment of freedmen and also reserved coastal land from Charleston south to Florida’s St. Johns River for settlement by freed families in 40-acre tracts. The Freedmen’s Bureau Act of March 1865 formalized government aid to freed slaves but made no provision for land. After President Lincoln’s death, President Andrew Johnson revoked Special Field Orders No. 15, hampering efforts by African Americans to gain economic independence after Emancipation.

May 22nd Madison Square, British Southern Line of Defenses Marker


Madison Square, British Southern Line of Defenses

 
 
Madison Square, Southern Line of Defenses Marker image. Click for full size.
 
Inscription. Through this square ran the southern line of defenses of the British who held Savannah from December 29, 1778 to July 11, 1782. After a siege of 22 days, at dawn of October 9, 1779, the strong western defenses on the line of the present West Broad Street, were assaulted by 3,500 French troops under
Charles Hector, Count D'Estaing,
who had come to Savannah flushed with his recent victories at St. Vincent and Grenada, and 1,500 Georgia, South Carolina and Continental troops under
Major General Benjamin Lincoln.
Brigadier General Lachlan McIntosh commanded one attacking American column and Col. John Laurens, of South Carolina, another. After three charges of unsurpassed bravery, in which Count D'Estaing was twice wounded, a retreat was sounded. In leading a charge of his American Legion, Brigadier General (Count) Casimir Pulaski was mortally wounded. Among the American dead were Major John Jones of Liberty County, GA. and Sergeant William Jasper. "This Heroic Action has given to the history of Savannah and the State of Georgia a chapter than which none is bloodier, braver or more noteworthy."

Erected by the City of Savannah and patriotic societies on October 9, 1929 the 150th Anniversary of he Assault. As a tribute to the valor and sacrifices of the allied French and American
forces.

Erected 1929 by City of Savannah.

May 22nd Savannah Volunteer Guards



Inscription.
Organized 1802

As infantry the Corps fought in the War of 1812, Indian Wars and as a battalion in 1861, serving with distinction in defense of Savannah and Charleston. In the spring of 1864 joined Lee's Army at Petersburg. On April 3, 1865 serving in the rear guard on the retreat to Appomattox having been reduced to 85 men, 23 were killed, 35 wounded and remainder captured. Reorganized in 1872. Served as infantry battalion in the Spanish-American War, as a battalion of the 61 C.A.C in WW-I, and as 118th F.A. Battalion in WW-II where they were awarded 5 Battle Stars. Reorganized after WW-II and is now an active unit in the Georgia National Guard. This armory erected in 1892.

May 22nd Poetter Hall




Inscription. Paula and Richard Rowe, along with May and Paul Poetter, founded the Savannah College of Art and Design in 1978. In March 1979, the college purchased its first building, this former Savannah Volunteer Guards Armory, built in 1892. The college named the building Preston Hall after its architect, William Gibbons Preston, and it has become the flagship building of an expanding campus throughout the Historic and Victorian districts of Savannah. The college`s restoration, rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of this and numerous other historically significant structures have been recognized by the Historical Savannah Foundation, the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation, and the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Preston Hall was renamed Poetter Hall to honor the invaluable contributions of May Poetter who served as Vice President for Admission, and Paul Poetter, who served as Comptroller, from 1978 to 1997 when both were elected to the Board of Trustees.

May 22nd Ancient and Accepted Rite of Scottish Freemasonry










Inscription. The Scottish rite of freemasonry was introduced into Georgia in 1792 by the brother Abraham Jacobs. The first degrees of the rite of perfection to be communicated in Savannah were on April 17,1796, when Jacobs conferred the degrees on James Clark, past master, Solomon’s lodge NO. 1. F. & A. M.

At Charleston, S. C., On May 31, 1801, the supreme council. 33°, (mother council of the world) of the A. & A. S. R., S. J., U. S. A., was established.

On December 4, 1802, the supreme council, at Charleston issued a charter for the recently organized lodge of the perfection, 4°---14°, at Savannah. Georgia, and It`s was delivered in Savannah on December 30, 1802. Extant records indicate beyond reasonable doubt that this was the first such charter issued outside of Charleston.

Authorized and placed in 1969

Luther A. Smith. 33°
Sovereign Grand Commander

John Fulton, 33°
Sovereign Grand Inspector General

The Supreme Council. 33°, A. & A. S. R., S. J., U. S. A.

May 22nd Old Sorrell -Weed House Marker






Inscription. A fine example of Greek Revival style, this building (completed in 1840 from the plans of Charles B. Cluskey, a well-known Georgia architect) shows the distinguished trend of Savannah architecture during the first half of the 19th century. The Mediterranean villa influence reflects the French background of the original owner, Francis Sorrel (1793- 1870), a shipping merchant of Savannah who as a child was saved by a faithful slave from the massacre of the white colonists in St. Domingo. The ante-bellum tradition of refinement and hospitality associated with the residence was continued after its purchase in 1859 by Henry D. Weed.

Here resided as a youth G. Moxley Sorrel (1838- 1901) who achieved fame as one of “Lee’s Lieutenants.” Shortly after war broke out in 1861 Sorrel, a young bank clerk in Savannah, proceeded to Virginia where with conspicuous valor and zeal through the major battles and campaigns in that theater from the First Manassas to Petersburg and was thrice wounded. Sorrel became brig. general at the age of 26. Competent critics have called him “the best staff officer in the Confederate service.” Gen. Sorrel’s “Recollections of a Confederate Staff Officer” is an absorbing account of his war experiences.

May 22nd Sherman's Headquarters Marker

 Also on Madison Square:










Inscription. General William Tecumseh Sherman used this house as headquarters from Dec. 22, 1864, until Feb. 1, 1865. Charles Green offered the use of his home to General Sherman and his staff. Sherman's chaplain conducted the Christmas services in St. John's Church.

The house was built for Green, a British subject residing in Savannah prior to 1854. The architect was John S. Norris of New York. The house is notable as one of the country's finest examples of residential Gothic Revival architecture, the detail of the interiors being as sumptuous as any to be found in America. Cost of the construction of this house in the 1850`s totaled $93,000.

In 1892 it was acquired from the Green family as a residence by Judge Peter W. Meldrim, distinguished Georgia jurist and President of the American Bar Association (1912-1913)

St. John's Episcopal Church acquired the house from the Meldrim heirs in 1943 for use as a parish house and rectory. The house was purchased partly through public subscription by the citizens of Savannah. the house was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1976.


May 22nd Sgt Jasper Marker



Inscription. Sergeant William Jasper, the famed Revolutionary hero, was mortally wounded a few hundred yards northwest of this spot on October 9, 1779, in the ill-fated attack of the American and French forces on the British defenses around Savannah. The monument to Jasper in this Square was unveiled in 1888 with great ceremony.

The 15½ foot bronze statue of Jasper was designed by the distinguished sculptor, Alexander Doyle of New York. The sculptor has depicted the heroic Sergeant bearing the colors of the Second Regiment of South Carolina Continentals during the assault at Savannah. His right hand, in which he holds a sabre, is pressed tight against the bullet wound in his side. Jasper’s bullet-ridden hat lies at his feet. His face, as portrayed by the sculptor, reveals intense suffering and resolute purpose.

The bas relief panels on the North, West and East sides of the monument represent the sculptor’s conception of three episodes in Sergeant Jasper’s Revolutionary career: - the ramparts of Fort Sullivan near Charleston where Jasper, under heavy fire, bravely replaced the flag: the liberation of Patriot prisoners by Jasper and a companion at what is now called Jasper Spring near Savannah: and the dying hero’s last moments after the attack of October 9, 1779
 
 
One of the many markers in Madison Square near SCAD.  






May 22nd Metro Savannah Stops today

Decided to do Metro Savannah stops today,




First up was Armstrong State University, which is in our Peach Belt District. They are pretty fair athletes, and pretty campus.



Next was a visit to the new baseball team, the Savannah Bananas.  They replaced the minor league Sand Gnats, and belong to a wood bat senior collegiate league.  All of their games are sellouts!  Got them to open up the team store, got a ball, but no pin :-(



Then a brief stop to SCAD, aka Savannah College of Art and Design. Lots of trendy kids on campus, no gift shop tho.

 
 
Then, to old Fort Jackson, which was a cool site- supposed to be 4 markers there, but didn't see them. 
 


 
 
Then, on to Savannah State. a TBCU site home of the Tigers.   No pin there either....

 
 
Saw several markers near SCAD, will post about them separately. 
 
After resting a bit, we did the local Wal Mart for provisions for the next few days... 74.40 worth.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

May 21st On to Savannah Ga.

Short trip today, first back to Cumberland Island Visitor Center for a missing stamp, which I got, then 114.7 mile trip up to our home for the next 4 days, Skidaway Island State Park in metro Savannah. 

Tale of the Garmin was max speed, 63, moving avg. 50 mph, overall, 43 mph, total time on road, 2.40, plus the stop to register.  Fuel consumption was 8.4 mpg.  

Trip map:


We are in handicapped access site 67, 50 amp water , and so far no sat yet.  Bette is working on the portable.


Tomorrow is metro Savannah, college tours, and an old Fort site and maybe some markers downtown.